Latest Bird Sightings: May 2013
This page exists as a convenient news service. None of the reports have been verified or checked by the Notts Birdwatchers' Records Committee.
The locations and species shown on this page should encourage seasoned and would-be birders alike to get out and about in the county with bins and scopes. Some birders may wish to view sightings of scarce and rarer species only.
Records of certain species will not appear here during the breeding season - but please send in your reports regardless.
Thu 23rd May
- Kilvington Lakes - West Lake: 5 Sanderling.
- Kinoulton - Common Cuckoo, Common Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Yellowhammer, Moorhen, 3 Mallard, Mute Swan, c.12 House Martin, 4 Barn Swallow, 3+ Common Swift.
Wed 22nd May
- Moorgreen Reservoir - Osprey.
- Welbeck Watchpoint - 12 Common Scoter [8 males & 4 females].
- Kirklington - Blackcap, Common Whitethroat, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Wren, Skylark, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Gadwall, Mallard, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mute Swan, Common Buzzard, Carrion Crow, Rook, Jackdaw, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush [2 pairs mating], European Robin, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Woodpigeon, Collard Dove, Eurasian Starling, House Sparrow, Common Pheasant, Reed Bunting, 9 Linnet, Eurasian Sparrowhawk.
- Kilvington Lakes - West Lake: 3 Eurasian Wigeon, 3 Common Scoter [drakes - 2 1st Summer & 1 adult], 1 Sanderling.
- Edingley - Common Cuckoo.
Tue 21st May
- Budby Pumping Station - 1 Osprey [flying south-east], Raven [flying south-east].
- Burton Joyce - Common Cuckoo [calling in fields above village].
- Sherwood Forest NNR - 1 Green Woodpecker, 1 Common Cuckoo, 2 Tree Pipit, 5 Yellowhammer, 3 Willow Warbler.
- Hickling - Common Cuckoo, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler.
Mon 20th May
- Bramcote Hills - Marsh Tit [gardens].
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Blue-headed Wagtail [Clifton Meadows].
- Sherwood Forest NNR - 18 Common Crossbill, 1 Siskin, 2 Grey Plover [north-west].
- Tuxford - 2 Hobby [over A1].
Sun 19th May
- Rainworth - Oystercatcher [old colliery site].
- RSPB Langford Lowlands - Northern Lapwing, Reed Bunting, Common Swift, Common Cuckoo.
- Rufford Country Park - 1 Wood Warbler [heard at 11:20 - woodland east of lake], 3 Common Buzzard, 1 Gadwall.
- Bentinck Void - Marsh Harrier [north], Spotted Flycatcher, Nightjar.
- Hoveringham - 6 Oystercatcher.
- Newstead and Annesley Country Park - 1 Northern Wheatear [female], 6 Northern Lapwing, Common Cuckoo [heard], 6 Little Grebe, 20 Tufted Duck, 2 Mallard, 1 Gadwall, 1 Greylag Goose, 3 Mute Swan, 4 Moorhen, 20 Coot, 2 Grey Partridge, 4 Sand Martin, 1 House Martin, 2 Skylark, 2 Long-tailed Tit, 1 Reed Bunting, 1 Common Whitethroat, 2 Yellowhammer.
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Black Tern, Common Tern, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Common Buzzard, Tree Sparrow, Common Whitethroat, Northern Lapwing, Oystercatcher, Stock Dove, Greylag Goose, Red-crested Pochard.
- Clumber Park - 1 Green Woodpecker [near cricket pitch].
- Moorgreen Resevoir - 4 Grey Wagtail [2 pairs], 1 Pink-footed Goose [bird of unknown origin], Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Canada Goose, Coot, Mallard.
Sat 18th May
- Idle Valley Nature Reserve - Black Tern, Wood Sandpiper.
- Netherfield Lagoons - Black Redstart.
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Black Tern.
Fri 17th May
- Pleasley Colliery Nature Reserve - 2 Common Redshank, 2 Ringed Plover [pair], Oystercatcher, Green Woodpecker, Great Created Grebe.
- Arnold - Dorket Head: Hobby.
- Sherwood Forest Farm Park - 2 Mandarin Duck [pair], Bullfinch, Common Kingfisher, Greylag Goose, Mute Swan.
Thu 16th May
- Burton Meadows - Common Sandpiper, Yellow Wagtail, 5 Common Tern.
- Collingham Pits - 2 Ruddy Turnstone.
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Black Tern.
- Lambley - Catfoot Lane: 1 Common Cuckoo [over].
- Sherwood Forest NNR - 3 Common Redstart [singing], 6 Tree Pipit [4 Singing], 1 Common Cuckoo, Garden Warbler.
Wed 15th May
- RSPB Langford Lowfields - 4 Dunlin, 4 Ringed Plover, 3 Little Egret, 1 Common Cuckoo, 14 Yellow Wagtail.
- Kilvington Lakes - 7 Sanderling, 1 Dunlin.
- Collingham Pits - 4 Dunlin, 3 Ringed Plover, 3 Common Tern, 1 Lesser Whitethroat.
- Bentinck Pit Top - 2 Sanderling, 2 Common Sandpiper.
Tue 14th May
- Kingston on Soar - 1 Spotted Flycatcher [midday].
- Sherwood Forest NNR - 61 Common Crossbill.
- Beeston Canal - Common Pheasant, Common Kestrel, Grey Heron, Common Tern, 5 Chiffchaff, 5 Blackcap, Common Whitethroat, 1 Lesser Whitethroat, Bullfinch.
- Kinoulton - Turtle Dove.
Mon 13th May
- Hoveringham - Railway Lake: 4 Egyptian Goose.
- Bassingfield - Common Quail.
- Colwick Woods - Hobby, Common Pheasant.
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Dunlin, Common Swift [numerous]. Works Pond: 1 Hobby, 1 Blackcap [male], 2 Chiffchaff, 1 Greenfinch, 2 Robin, 1 Blue Tit, 2 Great Tit, 1 Song Thrush, 1 Green Woodpecker, 2 Stock Dove, 1 Eurasian Nuthatch.
Sun 12th May
- Clumber Park - Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler, Willow Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Chiffchaff, Tree Pipit, Meadow Pipit, Common Redstart[heard], Bullfinch.
- Rufford Country Park - 2 Mandarin Duck [pair], 1 Garden Warbler, 5+ Blackcap, 2 Chiffchaff, 1 Willow Warbler, 4+ Barn Swallow, 1 House Martin, 1 Common Pochard [male].
- Hoveringham - Railway Lake: 1 Whimbrel, 1 Ruddy Turnstone, 4 Dunlin, 1 Arctic Tern.
- Ollerton - Little John Lakes: 1 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Grey Heron, 4 Tufted Duck, 4 Goldfinch, 1 Tree Sparrow, 1 Marsh Tit, 2 Siskin, 1 Stock Dove.
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Reed Bunting, 2 Tree Sparrow, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Goldfinch, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Dunnock, Tufted Duck, Mallard, 5 Red-crested Pochard [drakes], Gadwall, Northern Shoveler, 2 Egyptian Goose, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Mute Swan, Cormorant, Great Crested Grebe, Little Grebe, Barn Swallow, Woodpigeon, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Pied Wagtail, 3 Common Buzzard [over Branshill Wood], 2 Northern Lapwing, Sedge Warbler, 2 Garden Warbler, 3 Common Whitethroat, Reed Warbler, Kittiwake [adult appeared over Clifton Pond around 16:30. Flew to Church Pond and returned near gull island in Clifton Pond], Ringed Plover [Corner of Church Pond near rail crossing], 3 Dunlin [adult summer plumage on Clifton Pond Spit], 1 Arctic Tern 1 [Clifton Pond spit with Common Terns], 18 Common Tern, 4 Oystercatcher, 1 Yellow Wagtail [female on spit island], 4 Common Pochard [2 pairs roosting on Tween Scrape islands], c.200 Common Swift [many flying low].
- RSPB Langford Lowfields - 3 Dunlin, 1 Ringed Plover, 3 Oystercatcher, 3 Common Tern, 2 Common Shelduck, 3 Little Egret, 1 Common Cuckoo, c.60 Common Swift [seen RSPB guided walk].
Sat 11th May
- Fiskerton to Farndon - River Trent: 2 House Sparrow, 15 Mute Swan, 4 Common Swift, 5 Reed Warbler, 25 Woodpigeon, 4 European Robin, 21 Chaffinch, 12 Barn Swallow, 10 Black-headed Gull, 19 Carrion Crow, 2 Great Tit, 6 Blackbird, 1 Collared Dove, 3 Dunnock, 3 Song Thrush, 7 Wren, 8 Common Whitethroat, 6 Common Pheasant, 1 Pied Wagtail, 4 Blackcap, 3 Blue Tit, 1 Coal Tit, 1 Garden Warbler, 5 Sedge Warbler, 10 Sand Martin [8 from colony with 4 nest holes], 7 Greylag Goose, 5 Great Black-backed Gull, 8 Cormorant, 6 Skylark, 5 Mallard, 1 Common Buzzard, 1 Common Kestrel, 9 Reed Bunting, 8 Canada Goose, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Goldfinch, 1 Common Cuckoo.
- Idle Valley Nature Reserve - 3 Common Shelduck, Barn Swallow, Common Swift, House Martin, 3 Oystercatcher, 2 Gadwall, Chiffchaff, 4 Common Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, 2 Blackcap, Mallard [with 10 ducklings].
- Budby Pumping Station - 2 Common Shelduck, 4 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Oystercatcher, 23 Mute Swan.
- Welbeck Lakes - Hobby [hunting House Martins].
- Southwell - Cricket Ground: Common Cuckoo [over, calling].
- Colwick Country Park - c.500 Common Swift, c.50 Barn Swallow.
- Budby - Woodcock [over].
- Kinoulton- White Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, 3+ Common Whitethroat, 4 Reed Bunting, 6 Skylark, Red-legged Partridge.
Fri 10th May
- Hoveringham - Sailing Lake: 1 Whimbrel [over, calling], 2 Hobby, 200 Common Swift, 100+ Barn Swallow, 2 Common Tern, 7 Egyptian Goose.
- Idle Valley Nature Reserve - 3 Red-crested Pochard, 100+ Common Swift, 2 Ruddy Turnstone, 2 Ringed Plover, Common Sandpiper, 2 Turtle Dove [1 seen, 1 calling], Common Cuckoo.
- Gringley Carr - 2 Dotterel, 1 Whimbrel, 3+ European Golden Plover.
- Lound - 1 Hobby, 6 Red-crested Pochard, 2 Ruddy Turnstone.
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Dunlin [Church Pond by rail crossing].
- Gamston - 1 Hobby.
Thu 9th May
- Gringley Carr - 4 Dotterel, 2 European Golden Plover, 1 Common Buzzard.
- King's Mill Reservoir - 100 Common Swift, 40 Sand Martin, 15 Barn Swallow, 4 House Martin.
Wed 8th May
- Huthwaite - Castlewood Park: 3 Northern Wheatear.
- Wellow Wood - Marsh Tit [heard at 4 locations].
- Gringley Carr - 4+ Dotterel.
- Rufford Country Park - 1 Eurasian Jay, 4 Barn Swallow, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Goldcrest, Wren.
- Kinoulton - c.3 Common Swift, 6 Common Whitethroat, 2 Reed Bunting, 4 Barn Swallow.
Tue 7th May
- Kirklington - 4 Common Shelduck [west, early evening].
- Colwick Woods - 1 Common Buzzard, 1 Eurasian Jay, 10+ Common Swift, 2 Barn Swallow.
- Kinoulton - Yellow Wagtail, c.2 Goldcrest, Blackcap, Lesser Whitethroat, c.4 Common Whitethroat, 2 Moorhen, Common Kestrel, 3 Reed Bunting.
- Southwell to Kirklington Trail - Green Woodpecker, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Blackcap, Wren, Song Thrush, Blackbird, Wood Pigeon, Eurasian Starling, House Sparrow, European Robin, Skylark, Common Whitethroat, Carrion Crow, Common Pheasant, Mallard.
- Budby Pumping Station - 2 Oystercatcher, Common Shelduck, 12 Gadwall, Yellowhammer.
- Sherwood Forest NNR - Cuckoo [seen/heard], 2 Eurasian Jay, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Eurasian Nuthatch.
- Pleasley Colliery - 2 Yellow Wagtail [pair], Linnet, 4 Skylark.
- Ollerton - Little John Lakes: 1 Red-rumped Swallow.
- Gringley Carr - 5+ Dotterel, Whinchat, Northern Wheatear.
- Sherwood Forest NNR - 4 Common Redstart, 2 Mandarin Duck, 7 Garden Warbler.
Mon 6th May
- Lound - Wood Sandpiper.
- Whatton - Common Swift.
- Perlethorpe - Yellow Wagtail, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Blackcap, Common Buzzard, Chiffchaff, Goldfinch.
- Clumber Park - Common Goldeneye.
- Hickling - Grantham Canal: Common Cuckoo, Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Common Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap.
- Hoveringham - Sailing Lake: Whimbrel, Yellow Wagtail, Common Tern, Sand Martin, Barn Swallow, House Martin, Pied Wagtail, Common Kestrel, Egyptian Goose, Canada Goose, Greylag Goose, Sedge Warbler.
- Gringley Carr - 5 Dotterel.
- Maun Valley Trail - Chiffchaff.
- Kinoulton - 2 Bullfinch [pair], 3 Sedge Warbler, c.4 Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, c.5 Skylark, 2 Greylag Goose, Common Kestrel, Common Buzzard, Eurasian Sparrowhawk [garden], 3 Barn Swallow, c.4 House Martin.
- Manton Pit Wood - 1 Blackcap.
Sun 5th May
- Attenborough Nature Reserve - Sedge Warbler, Reed Warbler, Blackcap, Common Whitethroat, Chiffchaff, Commom Tern, House Martin, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Linnet, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Common Pochard, Red-crested Pochard, Sand Martin, Barn Swallow, Common Swift, Pink-footed Goose [over river with Greylags].
- Gringley - Osprey.
- Staunton Quarry - 2 Marsh Tit.
- New Basford - River Leen Greenway: 3 Garden Warbler, 4 Blackcap, 1 Willow Warbler, 1 Chiffchaff.
- Arnold - 3 Bohemian Waxwing [Douro Drive].
- Woodborough - 2 Common Cuckoo [Shelt Hill].
- Meden Vale - 1 Mealy Redpoll, 6 Goldfinch, 3 Siskin, 2 Lesser Redpoll.
- Sherwood Forest NNR - 10 Common Redstart [1 pair; 2 males displaying to a female; 5 singing males - seen/heard on Notts C.C. & RSPB Redstart Ramble], 3+ Common Cuckoo, 4 Tree Pipit, 2 Garden Warbler, 5 Blackcap, 3 Willow Warbler, 14 Common Crossbill, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Marsh Tit.
Sat 4th May
- Lound - Osprey.
- Hoveringham - 5 Black-tailed Godwit.
- Kirkby in Ashfield - 4 Raven [Derby Road].
- Welbeck Lakes - Osprey [through 15:10], 1 Egyptian Goose.
Fri 3rd May
- Sherwood Forest NNR - Tree Pipit, Common Whitethroat, Common Buzzard, Eurasian Jay.
- Bentinck Pit Top - 1 Northern Wheatear [male], 1 White Wagtail [1st Summer].
Thu 2nd May
- Bentinck Void - 2 Northern Wheatear.
- Rolleston - Hoopoe.
- Arnold - 20 Bohemian Waxwing [Pinewood Avenue].
- West Bridgford - 2 Red Kite [Abbey Park].
- Kilvington Lakes - 1 Little Egret, 1 Yellow-legged Gull [1st Summer].
- Meden Vale - Lesser Redpoll, House Martin, Common Swift, Grey Heron, Common Buzzard, Eurasian Sparrowhawk [female].
- Holme Pierrepont - 3 Hobby, 2 Egyptian Goose, 9 Garden Warbler, 12 Common Tern [rowing course], 4 Eurasian Wigeon, 1 Common Sandpiper, 18 Gadwall, 3 Oystercatcher, 1 Common Buzzard, 4 Sand Martin, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Lesser Whitethroat.
- Hickling - 1 Northern Wheatear.
Wed 1st May
- Bentinck Void - Ringed Plover.
- Arnold - 1 Northern Wheatear [garden].
- Oxton - Red Kite [Coomb Farm].
- White Post Farm - Red Kite, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, 5 Common Buzzard, 2 Common Swift, Bullfinch, Barn Swallow, Blackcap.
- Budby Pumping Station - 1 Yellow Wagtail, 8 Gadwall.
- Netherfield Lagoons - Chaffinch, House Sparrow, Common Whitethroat, Carrion Crow, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Long-tailed Tit, Blackcap, Wren, Blackbird, Robin, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler, Cormorant, Coot, Mute Swan, Magpie, Mallard, Jay, Reed Warbler, Reed Bunting, Greylag Goose, Linnet, Eurasian Sparrowhawk, Gadwall, 3 Common Tern, Grey Heron, Woodpigeon, Little Grebe, Tufted Duck, Great Crested Grebe, Rook, White Wagtail, Northern Lapwing, Yellow Wagtail, Canada Goose, Barn Swallow, Sand Martin, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Green Woodpecker, Lesser Whitethroat, Common Kingfisher, Skylark, Jackdaw, Stock Dove.
Many thanks to:
Richard M Box,